Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree....











One of our most favorite Christmas traditions was started our very first year as a married couple.
There was a woman, so dear to my heart, who told me about one of her family traditions.
I knew it was something that I wanted to do for my future family.
So, that very first Christmas back in 1996, we started giving one another 
a surprise ornament every year at Christmas.

I'm so sentimental that I couldn't imagine our first tree being covered with randomly bought ornaments.
So, our tree had our popcorn garland and a couple of ornaments on it.
It was charlie brown bare!!

Thankfully, my parents and my brother and his wife started the same tradition that year.
Instead of swapping gifts, we opted to give each other ornaments.
As my brother had his children and we had our children, it was something we decided to do as families.

We get a ton of Christmas ornaments every year, 
which explains why our tree looks like a HOT MESS.

We usually have two trees in our home and one just has all of our snowman ornaments on it,
but I really wanted to keep decorating simple this year, so we threw all of them on one tree!

After I got the pictures loaded into this post, I realized that I'd only shown you mostly snowmen.
Can you tell that those are my favorite ornaments?
I also took a shot of one that we got when we were in China.
We were there to bring Lydia home in December of '07, so there were ornaments in every gift shop.
I love all of the hand-crafted ones from her birth country, but the one in this post is my favorite.


I'm linking up {a little late} with::
for her Christmas tree linky party!


15 comments:

  1. Your tree makes me smile. Love the snowman head on the top and the ornaments. Glad you have one from China. I watch a little girl adopted from China. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tree topper. I've never seen one like it. Did you make it? or buy it? or repurpose it from something else into a tree topper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun tree & it's NOT a hot mess!
    i love snowmen too!!!
    your home is so cheerful & fun tara, just like i would imagine it to be
    merrychristmas
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i absolutely love your tree! so much fun- snowmen are my favorite:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the memories that Christmas ornaments bring. I remember taking each one out with "I remember this one!" when I was a little girl. I give my girls a new ornament each year, and if they last, they can take them when they have their own trees.

    xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment. I love your blog and you decor is just my style. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the snowman theme! It's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet tree! I love it, my daughter would stand there for days discovering every snowman.

    So happy to read about your adoption story. We started the process 5 years ago and are no closer. It is so sad, we've had to give up on the waiting. You have a very special little girl. God bless and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it! You have an amazing tree and we buy a special ornament each year, too! love the tree topper, too. I saw this pic on Pinterest and wondered if it was your house! love it all....

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your tree!
    where did you find your burlap garland/ribbon?
    we have been looking up here, and can't find any burlap anywhere. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tradition Tara!
    I am a lover of anything snowman too :)
    Your tree looks gorgeous and as always I adore your homemade rule sign!!!
    Thanks for your lovely visit with me!
    Blessings!!!!!

    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your words..I smiled..big
    HOT MESS!
    A big fat snowman is what your tree looks like and I LOVE it. I love the story behind the ornaments. The ones from China. You can pass them down to your kids when they are grown and married so they won't have a charlie brown tree.
    I'm thinking about having that caramel popcorn fro christmas eve...?
    lerve ya,

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and your words..I smiled..big
    HOT MESS!
    A big fat snowman is what your tree looks like and I LOVE it. I love the story behind the ornaments. The ones from China. You can pass them down to your kids when they are grown and married so they won't have a charlie brown tree.
    I'm thinking about having that caramel popcorn fro christmas eve...?
    lerve ya,

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just FUN!!! Love the tree topper.. completely adorable.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tree looks wonderful-everything you do looks wonderful! That snowman tree topper is particularly gorgeous!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete