Thursday, September 6, 2012

Apple Bars


I told y'all I had apples coming out of my ears.
I have made apple pie and apple bars and juiced with so many apples in the last couple of weeks!!
They were free from my parents, so I refuse to complain, but lets just say I'm glad they're gone.

 Katie from Tomorrow with a smile read that I was desperate to get rid of these apples,
and she sent me the best recipe for Apple bars.

Lydia and I got in the kitchen the very night that she sent it to me, and we got busy making them.
I love cooking with my sweet girl...she is becoming quite the little chopper and cutter.
...which reminds me, I should have taken pictures of her helping me.
I'll get the hang of all this eventually. :)


They are so delicious...especially right out of the oven.
We've eaten on them all week, so it's been handy to have something homemade waiting on us.
It's like starting your day off with dessert, which makes for a perfect day in my book!

APPLE BAR RECIPE
1c. vegatable oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
2t vanilla
2c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1t baking soda
2t cinnamon
2c diced/peeled apple (I usually just use 2 medium tart apples and don't bother with measuring!)

Mix together oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour, salt, soda, and cinnamon. Fold in apple. Spray bottomonly of 13x9in pan with cooking spray. Pour in batter. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes (My oven is HOT and I only need to cook for about 35 min...so keep an eye on the bars if your oven's cooks faster/slower). Middle will look under baked, edges will be brown. Bars will firm as they cool.
Enjoy!

{thankful for}
523.  community bible study.
524. new mercies everyday.
525. a big fat salad for lunch.
526. new friends at bible study...thank God for older, wiser women.
******************************************************************************
Don't forget to head over to Becky's ETSY SHOP and take advantage of the 20% discount
she is generously offering my sweet readers during the month of September.
Her cuffs are amazing.

20 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy! These look so good! Speaking of fall and apples, apple butter is one of my kids favorites. Try this recipe if you still have some apples left!
    http://livingthedreamtake35.blogspot.com/2011/10/saturday-apple-butter.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love older, wiser women at Bible studies! Aren't they the best??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I'm craving these! My mom would be so proud of me for sharing our family's favorite :)

    The hubs and I have had difficulty finding a church we fit into since we've moved to this city. We finally landed on one and I'm hoping I can find a Bible study. I just fall in that awkward not in college, not a mom phase- so there aren't many studies at times/with a focus I can go to. But here's to hoping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing. I wish I had apples coming out my ears, they are $2.49 lb. right now in AZ. Thanks for saying hi, I too haven't been doing much blog reading...need more time. Sorry about your darn back. Xo, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy. Love your signs, love your blog, can't wait to check out more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love apple bars...like LOVE! not gonna happen...operationzipthosepants is in full swing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMMMM!!!! pinning right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too had apples coming out my ears this year, and...free from my parents' orchard. :). Anyway we like to prepare the apples for a pie or crisp. Peel, slice, season and bag up to put in the freezer. All winter long I have the filling ready to go for a pie. I defrost and place in to the crust and I have a pie in a very short time! I did a post called "Apple Days" on my blog, The Vintage Bricoleur. Terry P.S. Can't wait to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, that looks so yummy! That's one thing I love about this time of year, all the apples. The grocery store finally has my favorite in stock...honeycrisps. I'm trying to lose a few pounds though, so there will be no apple deserts for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good. I'll have to try. I'm from minnesota but live in Texas. When my parents come in the fall, I have them bring me apples from a local farm. So good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good and I love your plate and cup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm salivating. I love any kind of appley goodness. And I think I made something similar to this from Pinterest. (It was delish.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay.....I love the sign. But these bars? And that kitchen? And your photography?

    Seriously!

    What's a girl to do but pin....pin....pin :)

    blessings rock star,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tara those look real yummy,I can almost smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I'm bj, over from Kathy's Cottage...I came to steal your recipe as she said it was sooo good. :)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. ya know what...think I'll just link up to follow you while I'm here. Come by to see me when you have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stumbled upon this post somehow and I'm very glad I did!
    It is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and I made this yesterday to take to a dinner we were invited to and it was a HUGE hit! My family loved it so much and were so disappointed we didn't have any left at home, I currently have another one in the oven!!!
    Love your blog!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just saw your recipe from over at Sweet Nothings and made one to take to the office-very good! Thanks for a great recipe and have a happy day:@)

    ReplyDelete