Sunday, November 25, 2012

Adding Christmas Cheer




I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving with your family & friends!
We took our annual trip to South Georgia to be with Andy's family for a few days.
In case you've never been to South Georgia, let me tell you what you're missing out on...
...miles and miles and miles and miles of pine trees and cotton fields.  the end.
We had a great visit with his family and ate more desserts in two days than we will for the rest of the year.
{no joke}

As we came back into Athens, we stopped at a local tree farm and picked up our fresh tree.
We've actually had an artificial one for the past decade, so this was a first for my kiddos.
The hardest part was making a decision on just one of them!
How many trees can one family look at from every.single.angle? 
Apparently, if you're in the Lowry family, you can look at an entire tree farm full!!!
{Sorry boys...picking a tree is hard on us girls!}

Once we got our tree tied to the top of the car, we headed home to the house.
There isn't anything like coming home after a few days away.  
It's not just me & Andy..our kids always love coming home, too.
Even Max loved coming home...he sniffed out every single room and jumped on and off the sofa a few dozen times. 

Andy, our fearless leader, helped us all decide that it would be a much better idea to deck the halls on Saturday.
It was so hard putting that tree on the back deck, but we were all so tired that we did it without much whining.

I started adding Christmas cheer after one cup of coffee yesterday.
Is it just me, or does it all get really bad before it gets really beautiful?
The whole house looked destroyed at one point, and then somewhere along the way, it started to come together.

I thought I'd show you one of the easiest, cheapest things I did all day to spread cheer at our house.
I got the idea from my Christmas boards via Sasha!

Just in case you don't have the supplies on hand at your house, I'll give you my resources. :)
Mercury candle holders & white tray from Target
Jingle bells from Michaels

It's a simple touch, but it makes me smile every time I stand at the kitchen sink!

{thankful for}
592. a real tree that captures the smell of Christmas!
593. simple ways to add the cheer of the season to our home.
594. a visit with my uncle today, whose days on earth are coming to a close..thankful he knows Jesus.
595. our hot chocolate bar on cold days like today!







17 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of decorating for Christmas right now and YES my house is a disaster right now! I had to take a break for some more inspiration ;) Can't wait to see the rest of your Christmas cheer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a good visit with your family for Thanksgiving! Now on to Christmas decorating and preparing right?! ;)
    I love the mercury glass votives with the jingle bells! I have the glasses too and love them!
    I know, it doesnt have to be expensive to add the extra touches to our home for Christmas. I try to work with existing decor and add a little something to them to bring Christmas to them.
    So glad you are all so happy to be back to your "home sweet home".
    Love & hugs!

    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it girly!! I can't wait to see the rest of your sweet house. How fun that this will be your first Christmas in this house!!! I feel giddy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simpleness of the candles on the tray..very pretty! I agree about the house becoming a mess before it gets all nice for Christmas. Our house was a tornado Friday evening, but by Saturday afternoon it looked much better. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so funny...YES it does get really bad before it gets beautiful & my compulsive self has a hard time during the bad.
    we were able to finish alot this weekend despite computer issues & photo sessions!
    your home is just lovely my friend, just perfectly lovely!!
    & MY SIGN>>>how i LOVE LOVE LOVE my sign!
    might just stay up all year long!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always do everything so pretty!! Our house still looks like someone picked it up and shook it..:)
    Still have lots to do but trying to enjoy the process!! Can't wait to see more...xo you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The destroyed look that precedes the beauty. Yes. That. Ugh. It's slowly coming together, but still not quite finished. Ran out of time yesterday. Decided to take a break and chill by the firepit outside instead. The chaos can wait.

    Love fresh trees. I remember ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tara,
    I wanted to first thank you and Andy for the wonderful sign I receioved from you recently. I had chosen a verse from a song my husband and I danced to at our wedding and the sign turned out perfectly. I couldn't wait to give it to my husband so he has opened it and just loves it! I appreciate the time and effort put into your work to make it such amazing quality. I will be ordering another piece for sure. From having orderd the sign per reccomendation from Paige, I found your blog. You are a gifted writer and I enjoy visiting you here in this beautifuyl blog home. Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents to bless others not only here in the blog world but also with your wonderful sign art. I hope that y'all have a blessed holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks so pretty! I love the colorful bokeh. I can't wait to see the rest of your Christmas decorating. I bet it's going to be beautiful in that new house of yours. And yes, I think you're right, the house does look really bad before it all comes together and looks good. I'm currently looking at the giant mess that surrounds me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those pictures...the boca effect is perfection! We love coming home too. It's like instantly we go from grumpy from a long day of travel to happy and hyper that we're in our own home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to work it with your camera, girl! Nice bokeh! (Fancy word for blurred background.) We're peas in a pod on picking a tree. I have to see every side. My poor husband has to put up with me as we try to get it just right in the tree stand. Had a beautiful artificial for the last 6 years, but it was too tall for this house so we left in Houston. Picking a tree this year was a first for us in awhile, too! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on south GA...when we make the trek from IN to south FL every year to visit my in laws...that's one of the most dreaded stretches! Love that is ole tray...so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so, clearly everyone loved your tutorial here and ran to the wetumpka walmart and prattville target because there are NO...i repeat NO...jingle bells to be had. i have plate. i have candles. i have candle holder. and alas...no bells. :o( maybe next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that actually should have been from my account. sorry. ;o)

      Delete
  14. Your home is completely lovely - and that sign is the center point to bring it all together! Thanks so much for inviting us in! Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. oops - somehow my comment ended up on the wrong page - that was meant for your home tour!

    ReplyDelete