Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Splash of Color




I know a bathroom isn't all that exciting, but I wanted to show you the new shower curtain I had made.
We had our builder put the shower rod higher than the usual 72' height, which meant I kind of had to.
On a side note, you would really think companies would make something other than a standard length. Right?

For months, I've used two burlap{ie} looking tablecloths that I put together as the shower curtain.
At $20 for both of them, it worked fine until I could figure out what I really wanted in there.
Finally, I decided to pick out several colorful fabrics from Hobby Lobby and have one made in a patchwork pattern.

I was drawn to all those fabrics because they are bright & happy, but I must admit,
even though I'm drawn to whimsical, I tend to lean toward a very classic style.
I sure hope I can mix classic with whimsy because it's a stretch for me!


Here are a couple things to think about if you plan to have one made for your home::
You need about 5 yards to make an extra large shower curtain.  This one is 72' wide and 80' long.
You can play around with the amounts of fabric that you purchase, as long as you keep that total yardage in mind.

Don't make the mistake I did. I didn't really have a plan {shocker} in mind for how I wanted it laid out.
I told the lady that made it for me that I wanted the patchwork look, so I got her version of it.
It's more than fine, and I love the splash of color in that mostly white space, but if I were doing it again,
I'd have a plan!

Just in case you're wondering....
The green frames came from Michaels.  They were white, so we painted them and distressed them.
The mirror came from tjmaxx back in the fall, when we were making purchases for the new house.

{thankful for}
694. a quiet sunday afternoon.
695. a roaring fire in the fireplace.
696. new friends coming over for dinner.
697. a sunday lunch routine with sweet families, who are dearer to me than they could imagine.
698. another 1.2 lb weight loss...4 pounds total in 2 weeks! 
699. some time away this coming week in Orlando with a dear friend and her kids.
700. the two loads of laundry that I have to go fold...just kidding. I wanted to make sure you were reading.
{I'm not Ann Voskamp.  I can't find the joy in folding and putting away laundry!!!!}

23 comments:

  1. I love the color in your bathroom. It is funny - I am a total color person and the one room in the house that is mostly white is our bathroom. The color of your picture frames is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its adorable Tara! Love that they arent all square pieces! btw, I've been meaning to tell you, I was in PA a couple weeks ago at my parents...I was so excited to be there the day my moms "Names of Jesus" sign that you and Andy made came. I loved being able to see it in person and helping my mom put it up. It looks perfect! :) Stay warm, this is a cold Georgia day, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I really love it!! One day when I'm in Georgia, can I just pop on over and have a home tour?? I always get inspired and am tickled everytime you show up in my Google Reader!! ;) xoxo, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colors are wonderful! I like taller shower curtains too..pretty much means you have to make a curtain or have it made. The fabrics you chose are so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did great without having a plan. your color choices are fun and bright- just as I imagine you are!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shower curtain. The color of the frames and the colors in the curtain are really nice together. It's hard to decorate such a small place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so fun, I like it when you get whimsical...and those green frames are so so fabulous. I want them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we had a great quiet sunday afternoon too. love those. and i LOVE your shower curtain. your style is a lot like mine. we both gravitate towards the classics, but sometimes a splash of color is good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you deal with the liner? Are they making longer liners now or do have another rod lower for the liner? I love the curtain btw!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your curtain is so happy! Great fabric choices. And I LOVE the color of the frames.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it girly! That shower curtain looks very Garnet Hill-ish and I love their stuff. You have such great taste! Oh and all the pops of green. One of my fave colors for sure!

    Okay so my favorite part of this post was when you said, " I was drawn to all those fabrics because they are bright & happy, but I must admit,
    even though I'm drawn to whimsical, I tend to lean toward a very classic style.
    I sure hope I can mix classic with whimsy because it's a stretch for me!" I can't tell you how I relate. I LOVE color... I mean LOVE it... but when I try to incorporate a non-classic colorful look it is always short lived... big stretch I guess for me too! LOL Doesn't stop me from loving it though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the curtain, very colorful!
    I have a hard time folding laundry and putting it away joyfully, also. Oh so tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE LOVE it..i know it is a stretch for you but it is nothing that you can't change up easy if you ever wanted to.
    the green frames are my fav...and the mirror. i just painted a frame today for dakota's picture for our mantle almost that color green.

    now you have me thinking of mexican...why is that?;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shower curtain!! What would you have done different. I have a fabric stash and would love to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bathroom! Those frames are GREAT!!! Awesome on the weight loss... but not that you need to lose any. I emailed you a great blog... butlerpartyof2.com she has great health and fitness tips!!! Did you look yet? Btw... shes in georgia also!! Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bathroom looks fantastic! I love the bright colors - you were absolutely spot on when you picked those fabrics because they were cheery! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your bathroom! The frames are great and the shower curtain turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the look! We have the same granite countertop!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. SERENDIPITY! I for one think that @ times things come together better if we just allow them to. Your bathroom is a real treat on the eyes (not a morn'n person here) and let's face it this close but still in winter its welcome. So fret not and smile with every glimpse as you brush your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. SERENDIPITY! I for one think that @ times things come together better if we just allow them to. Your bathroom is a real treat on the eyes (not a morn'n person here) and let's face it this close but still in winter its welcome. So fret not and smile with every glimpse as you brush your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in love. That shower curtain is just what I need in my bathroom. Love your list, too.

    ReplyDelete