Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Love, on purpose. Letting them dream and learning to do it myself.


Lydia and Seth are on a mission.  They're determined that we're going to build a treehouse this year.
Apparently, Lydia wants hers to be 3 stories high. 
Please take note of the attention to detail she craves for her mansion treehouse.
She's dreaming of a tv nook, a room just for the Christmas tree, two swings, a kitchen, a bathroom,
and a nicer mailbox than we have in front of our real life house.

Part of loving the little people in my life on purpose is letting them dream and hope.
It's so dang hard for me.  I swear I get on my own last nerve with this struggle.
I don't know if I was born this way or life has made me this way,
{and honestly I haven't had enough coffee to give two cares}, but I'm a realist.

I saw this treehouse and my first thought was, "Dude.  Girl can draw.  Look at those faucets."
My second thought that flew in on two wheels right behind the first thought was, "Ummm. Never gonna happen."

How does God teach the importance of realizing dreams in my heart through a treehouse drawing?
He pressed in on that spot in me that fears a good dream.

We don't hope and dream because we fear the let down if it doesn't work out.
We've been disappointed one too many times to let ourselves dream of something that seems bigger than us.
If it's not something we know we can make happen, we struggle to let ourselves ponder the possibilities.

I'm guessing the tree house we build our kids won't be a mansion with a full working kitchen and bathroom,
but surely we can let them draw pictures without pulling their dreamy little creative rugs out from under them.

These kids of mine are teaching me how to dream among so many other things.
I swear they're growing me up!
 I want to give them space to dream and hope for things bigger than them...
and I'm ready to learn how to let myself do it a little, too.

Do you have dreams in your heart that you're afraid to speak out loud?

{thankful for}
709. a fabulous laugh with this friend yesterday.
710. pictures of Luke having a blast on his two day field trip to Jekyll Island with his class.

711. the chance to go to Scott's Antiques in ATL next week with our signs.
712. a sunny day today.

{click on the picture to visit Edie's link up party}

13 comments:

  1. First, I need to come visit one of these days. I just love those Southern phrases you're throwing in these posts...makes me love them even more.
    Second, I think it's great you are giving your kids space to dream and grow. I remember when my dad helped me and the neighbor kids build a for...it was the best! (my sister wanting nothing of it...surprise, surprise)
    Third, love and miss y'all bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! "We can let them draw pictures without pulling their dreamy little creative rugs out from under them." Great reminder to let them dream! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this," I swear I get on my own last nerve with this struggle."
    So glad I'm not the only one who gets on my last nerve.
    Love you, friend and thanks for joining!
    xoxo,
    edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always read your blog but this is my first time leaving a comment. I have to tell you, you INSPIRE me. I love your thought process, I love your thankfulness at the end of each post, I love that you are a real, down to earth, every day person trying to follow God's word. I also love this post about dreaming. I'm a dreamer and I think I'll always be because it fills me up and it feels good. Kids always teach us something new, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh we two are alike. I've caught myself doing the same with my children. This is still something I struggle with. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story - keep dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sense of humor in this post!. My mind works the same way. WOW! What a great drawing! But never gonna happen. Realist all the way. {My husband calls me a pessimist, but I hold fast to the term "realist."} I've been thinking a lot about childhood dreams. Like the ones I had to dance, to play violin, to shine like the sun. I've been giving lots of thought to how/if to reawaken some of those little girl places. Dreaming feels like laughter: good for the soul! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara, reading this post sent chills down my spine and brought tears to my eyes. And then my heart grew warm. And I knew I'd heard God's voice.

    "I want to give them space to dream and hope for things bigger than them...
    and I'm ready to learn how to let myself do it a little, too."

    You are beautifully gifted and blessed.

    Thank you for sharing how important it is to dream ... "and let dream."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dream! This is what's in my Origami Owl necklace and written in wooden letters on top of our Master Bedroom Armoire for me to see first every morning when I wake up. My very most favorite-est quote of ALL time is: The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. ~Eleanor Roosevelt PS- I'm going to be in Atlanta next week!!!! :D I need details of when and where you are gonna be! xoxo, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Ouch! We are two peas in a pod! I too can be a dream-crusher and realist that gets on my own nerves. :/ Thanks for the reminder of the importance of letting them get their dream on!

      Delete
  10. YAAAAAAAAY! Next weekend is the big 40 for me and I am going to Scott Antiques. Who knew it would be even better because I could see you signs and you. Happy Birthday to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how rude, I was so excited I forgot what all I wanted to say. I love that you shared your heart on this, I struggle with the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the tendency to do (or at least think) this same thing. But I know we want to nourish our children's dreams. Thanks for speaking on the subject. And I LOVE the tree house drawing. Dude. Girl can draw!
    Anna
    http://lassothemoon.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete